TCI Honours the Fallen on Remembrance Day

first_img Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, November 17, 2017 – Grand Turk – On Sunday, 12th November, silence once again fell over the Turks & Caicos Islands, as we marked Remembrance Day, with ceremonies to honour those servicemen and women who fought during the two world wars, and those who continue to serve today.HE the Governor, Dr. John Freeman; the Commissioner of Police, James Smith, other dignitaries and servicemen attended the Remembrance Day service at St. Monica’s Anglican Church and wreath laying ceremony at the war memorial, in Providenciales.Premier, Hon. Sharlene Cartwright-Robinson; HE the Deputy Governor, Anya Williams, other dignitaries and ex-servicemen attended the Remembrance Day service and wreath laying ceremony in Grand Turk at St. Mary’s Pro-Cathedral, which was followed by the Ecumenical Service at Salem Baptist Church.Press Release: TCIGlast_img read more

Jamaicas Government Increases Allocations for CrimeFighting

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Jamaica, March 9, 2018 – Kingston – The allocation to the Ministry of National Security for fiscal year 2018/19 has increased by 23.4 per cent, moving to $78.5 billion up from $63.6 billion in 2017/18.Opening the Budget Debate in the House of Representatives on March 8, Minister of Finance and the Public Service, Hon. Audley Shaw, said the increase will facilitate the provision of machinery and equipment, and implementation of physical infrastructure and social-intervention programmes.Mr. Shaw said projects to be undertaken in the new fiscal year include construction of new facilities for the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) and Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF); expansion of crime-fighting training facilities; building and improvement of several correctional facilities; procurement of motor vehicles and other specialised equipment to respond to both physical threats and cyberattacks; and continuation of social-intervention initiatives.He said the Government has identified national security and the rule of law as among the main strategic priorities for fiscal year 2018/19 and for the medium-term.The theme of the Minister’s presentation was ‘Stability, Growth and Prosperity – Our Goal, Our Responsibility’.Release: JIS Related Items:last_img read more

Hill AFB Naval Station Key West Fort Hood Top DOD List of

first_img ADC AUTHOR The Pentagon has updated its list of top military installations at the most risk from extreme weather events over the next 20 years. DOD sent the list in a letter last week to Rep. Jim Langevin (D-R.I.), who chairs the House Armed Services subcommittee on intelligence, emerging threats and capabilities.The top bases on the list include Hill Air Force Base, Utah; Naval Station Key West, Fla.; and Fort Hood, Texas, according to The Hill.The list “includes scoring and weighting of the five climate-related hazards (recurrent flooding, wildfire, drought, desertification and permafrost thaw) based on the immediacy of the threat,” Ellen Lord, undersecretary of defense for acquisition and sustainment, wrote in the letter, which Langevin released this week.The updated at-risk list is in response to Democratic lawmakers’ questions for more detailed information after a broader Pentagon climate change report Jan. 17 that they said was not comprehensive enough, as reported by On Base.DOD photo by Tech. Sgt. Andrew Leelast_img read more

Absconding criminal attends police events

first_imgMatin Sarkar, second from left, greets shipping minister Shahjahan Khan on 11 June. He is ‘absconding’, according to police and court records. Arrest warrants have been issued 20 times against him. The court even had his details published in the newspapers. Cases were conducted against him even in his absence.But the reality is that he never went into hiding. In fact, he attended a number of events organised by the police, rubbing shoulders with the top bosses. He presented bouquets to a number of ministers, including the home minister, at different programmes. Yet, the police always told the court that they could not arrest him as he was absconding.This powerful man is Abdul Matin Sarkar, the general secretary of district truck owners’ association and the joint general secretary of the town Jubo League. He is the second brother of Tufan Sarkar, who allegedly raped and tortured a schoolgirl. Tufan flexes his muscle in Bogra with the backing of his brother Matin.With Tufan’s crimes coming to the fore, Matin’s henoius acts are also coming to the light and he has now been thrown out of Jubo League.A number of Awami League leaders said Matin is the mastermind of most of the recent crimes in and around Bogra. A drug peddler on the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) list, he has suddenly become a billionaire. He has nine cases, including four of murders, against his name. He was handed 27 years in jail in one of them, but that was later stayed by the Supreme Court.Despite his criminal record, he had good terms with the police high-ups. He was present at the district police’s annual sports meet and also held a meeting with the deputy commissioner. He also accompanied home minister Asaduzzaman Khan, road transport and bridges minister Obaidul Quader, shipping minister Shahjahan Khan and Jubo League chairman Omar Faruq Chowdhury during their respective Bogra visits. These photos were published in local newspapers.When asked, superintendent of police in Bogra Asaduzzaman said, “I have been here for two years. To the best of my knowledge, I have not heard of any arrest warrants. I do not know if he had one against hm previously. Being a leader of the ruling party he can come to the police, but I did not know that he was a criminal.”Court sources said Matin has got bail in eight of thse nine cases. He was sentenced only in a murder case. The killing of Abu Naser alias Ujjal took place on 28 October in 2001.The charge sheet of the case says both Matin and Ujjal were involved in illegal businesses and the latter was killed due to enmity. One of the accused Abu Talha alias Thandu was killed on 20 January in 2002 and he was murdered by Shafikul, another accused in the case.Shafikul is serving life term in that case. However, Matin Sarkar was released on bail and he never appeared in the court ever since, said Md Abdul Matin, public prosecutor (PP) at Bogra judge’s court.A state counsel said if an accused is absconding, the state appoints a lawyer on his behalf. Recently a certain Taj Uddin was appointed to represent Matin. Taj Uddin said till date assistant PP Rezaul Huq was moving the case and he may know the details.Rezaul Huq told Prothom Alo that Matin Sarkar is roaming around, but on pen and paper he is ‘absconding’. Everytime the court asks the police to submit a report, they say they cannot find him. But Matin does appear at he court in the other cases.Rezaul said he does not know why the police do not arrest him.The family members of Ujjal do not want to talk about it. A neighbour of Abu Sayeed, Ujjal’s brother, said they have been hushed by threats of dire consequences.When these correspondents went to his place, the watchman said they were not there.Locals said district AL joint secretary general Manzurul Alam brought Matin into politics, but does not back him anymore.Matin is now close to district AL president Mamtaz Uddin.Speaking to Prothom Alo, Mamtaz Uddin said, “Investigate who brought Matin into politics.”last_img read more

4 sentenced to death for Rupa rape and murder

first_imgThe accused being taken to Tangail court. Photo: Tangail A Tangail court on Monday sentenced four persons to death in a case filed over the murder of Zakia Sultana Rupa after gang rape in a running bus on 25 August last year, reports UNB.Women and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal judge Abul Hossain Miah announced the verdict in a crowded courtroom.The condemned convicted are – bus driver Habibur and helpers Shamim, Akram and Jahangir.Besides, bus supervisor Safar Ali was sentenced to seven years imprisonment and fined Tk 100,000.According to prosecution, Rupa, 27, was murdered after gang rape in the running bus while returning to Mymensingh from Bogra.Police recovered her blood-stained body from Panchmail area of Madhupur upazila on that night.Following a post-mortem, she was buried at the town central graveyard as unclaimed body. Later, victim’s relatives identified her.On 28 August, police arrested the five accused from Mymensingh in this connection.On 31 August, police exhumed the body of Rupa and handed it over to her family for burial in a proper manner.On 25 October last, the court accepted the charge sheet against the accused — bus driver Habibur, its supervisor Safar Ali, and helpers Shamim, Akram and Jahangir — in the case.On 23 January, the court concluded the recording of depositions of witnesses in the case when 27 witnesses out of total 32 testified before the court.last_img read more

Louvre museum reopens after machete attack

first_imgPeople walk in the Carrousel du Louvre in Paris on February 4, 2017 a day after a machete-wielding attacker lunged at four French soldiers while shouting `Allahu Akbar` (`God is greatest`) in a public area that leads to one of the Louvre Museum`s entrances. AFPThe Louvre reopened its doors Saturday, a day after soldiers outside the Paris museum shot and wounded a machete-wielding attacker, suspected of being an Egyptian national.The incident on Friday thrust the issue of security back into the limelight three months ahead of elections in France, with authorities saying it was a “terrorist” assault.It also dealt another blow to Paris’ lucrative tourism industry which has been badly affected by a string of attacks since 2015.Saturday morning saw a crowd gathered outside the museum’s main entrance as it began welcoming visitors at 09:30 am (0830 GMT), just 24 hours after the attack.”I’m quite worried about coming today, but as we weren’t able to visit yesterday we decided to come back,” 28-year-old Russian visitor Elena Lordugen told AFP.As usual, soldiers with machine guns could be seen patrolling nearby with museum security staff carrying out routine bag checks.Ali Tali, a Turkish tourist in his 40s, shrugged off their presence. “We’re used these security measures in Turkey,” he said.Investigators say the attacker, who was carrying two machetes and wearing a black T-shirt with a skull design, lunged at four soldiers shouting “Allahu Akbar” (“God is greatest”).One of soldiers, who was struck on the head, was slightly injured and a second soldier opened fire, hitting the assailant in the stomach and leaving him seriously wounded.Based on his phone and visa records, he is thought to be a 29-year-old Egyptian national living in the United Arab Emirates, Abdallah El Hamahmy, who entered France legally on a flight from Dubai on January 26.’A simple guy’Held at a Paris hospital overnight, the suspect’s condition stabilised and by Saturday morning it was “no longer life-threatening”, a source close to the case said Saturday.Investigators from the police counterterrorism unit would begin questioning him on Sunday, the source told AFP.They believe the suspect rented an expensive apartment near the Champs Elysees, the source said.Police were examining the Twitter account of El Hamahmy after around a dozen messages were posted in Arabic just minutes before the attack.”In the name of Allah… for our brothers in Syria and fighters across the world,” he wrote, before referring to the Islamic State jihadist group in another tweet a minute later.Speaking to AFP in Cairo, retired police general Reda El Hamahmy said he believed the wounded suspect was his son, Abdallah, who was in Paris on a business trip.However he said there were no signs his son had been radicalised.”He went on a company trip and when it was over visited the museum. He was supposed to leave on Saturday,” he told AFP, saying his son was married and his pregnant wife was currently staying in Saudi Arabia with their seven-month old son.”He is a simple guy,” he added, describing his family as a “moderate household”.”I can show you pictures where he has no beard,” he said. Beards are often grown by devout Muslims.’Hateful crime’The government of the United Arab Emirates, which includes Dubai, condemned the “hateful crime” and assured France of its “full solidarity”.President Francois Hollande said that “there is little doubt as to the terrorist nature of this act,” an assessment echoed by Prime Minister Bernard Cazeneuve.Over the past two years, France has suffered a string of terror attacks and has been under a state of emergency since November 2015.During that period, the Louvre, a former palace in the heart of the city, has seen annual visitor numbers fall to 7.3 million, a drop of around two million.Security, immigration and the economy are all major issues for voters ahead of this year’s presidential and parliamentary elections which are expected to confirm the country’s shift to the right after five years of Socialist rule.last_img

Thailand retrieves last dead body in boating disaster

first_imgThailand`s prime minister Prayuth Chan-ocha comforts a relative of Chinese tourists involved in a sunken tourist boat accident at a hospital in Phuket, Thailand on 9 July 2018. Photo: ReutersThailand has recovered the last body after a boating accident killed dozens of Chinese tourists this month off the southern resort island of Phuket.The Phoenix was carrying 105 people — mostly Chinese — when it sank on the way back from a popular snorkeling spot on July 5.Divers and the navy spent more than a week retrieving bodies, some from inside the boat, as outraged relatives waited for news.Phuket’s public relations department said in a statement late Sunday that the “last body of the dead from the Phoenix boat accident” was recovered that night.”All missing found,” the statement added, putting the final death toll at 47.A minute’s silence was held for the victims at a ceremony attended by the Chinese ambassador.The Phoenix was among three vessels which ignored a bad weather warning against day trips to the islands around Phuket.The disaster was one of the worst boating accidents in recent history in Thailand, which has a poor safety record despite being heavily reliant on tourism.But it received little international attention compared to the dramatic rescue of 12 children and their football coach from a cave in northern Thailand.The country last year received 35 million tourists of whom nearly 10 million were from China, government statistics show.last_img