Shelter for abused women to be constructed in Linden

first_imgA sod-turning exercise in Linden on Thursday has symbolised the respective commencement of construction of a shelter for abused women and two community centres.Social Protection Minister Amna Ally and US Ambassador Sarah-Ann Lynch were among those at the sod-turning exerciseThese projects are being undertaken by the United States Military Services, also referred to as the New Horizons. One of the shelters will be constructed at Amelia’s Ward, while the other will be constructed at Blueberry Hill, Wismar.At the sod-turning exercise on Thursday, US Ambassador Sarah-Ann Lynch noted that this is the third outreach to Guyana by the New Horizons. She noted that the US is committed to building and sustaining relationships with its partner nations.“We look forward to continuing to grow our partnership and our friendship. Just like its previous iterations in 2004 and 2009, which built clinics and schools and provided medical outreaches, this year’s New Horizons’ efforts provide invaluable knowledge and unmatched hands-on experience”, Ambassador Lynch noted.She added that the bilateral nature of the exercise creates a unity of efforts between the two countries to address challenges in the areas of humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.Ambassador Lynch also posited that hundreds of Guyanese have already benefited directly from medical outreaches and construction projects undertaken by New Horizons, and thousands more are to benefit in the years to come.Social Protection Minister Amna Ally related that there is much to celebrate and be grateful for, since the community will, for the first time, have a Women’s Shelter.She noted that the US/Guyana partnership has resulted in positive outcomes for the people of Linden, and she said she is looking forward to future partnerships.The Minister noted that the sod-turning ceremony represents the first act of greater things to come, and it would not have been possible without support of the US Government under the New Horizons project.Linden Mayor Waneka Arrindell has said the introduction of a Women’s Shelter is something that the town would always remember, in that it would bring much needed relief to the Region as a whole.She also expressed hope that the shelter would be able to provide services that would help to reduce issues such as teenage pregnancies and child abuse, and provide skills training and literacy services for youths.New Horizons Commander, Colonel Kenneth Bratland, in an overview, alluded to the importance of the projects.“(For) our exercise, New Horizons will bring over 500 airmen, soldiers, sailors and marines into Guyana between February and September of this year. Our primary purpose is to train US Forces (on) how to plan and conduct humanitarian missions in different and challenging conditions. To ensure our conditions are challenging, the first thing we did was to build a base camp for all our personnel to live in. We did this starting in February, and we finished that in May.“With that completed, we are now moved on to the helping phase of this exercise. Our first focus area is providing medical, dental and veterinary assistance at seven events in 15 locations across Guyana,” he detailed.Five of these events, he noted, will take place at seven locations throughout Linden.He highlighted that the first event concluded at the Port Mourant Hospital in Region Six last month, while the second will conclude today (Friday) at the Linden Hospital Complex.Chief-of-Staff of the Guyana Defence Force, Brigadier Patrick West, has said that, with an apparent increase in domestic violence cases, he is heartened that the shelter for women was conceived and earmarked as a priority project.He said realisation of the shelter signals that the men and women in uniform are there to offer support.“It signals that, as military persons, we are in touch with some of the social ills that plague our society… The Joint Services as a whole is committed to providing assistance through whatever provisions are allowed legally by mandate and otherwise to fight against the scourge of domestic violence. I cannot wait to see the completion of this project, and ensure that it is effectively and efficiently utilised by all,” he declared.last_img read more

VAR confusion could blight World Cup – Southgate

first_imgHowever, the visitors were only awarded a spot-kick after German referee Deniz Aytekin overturned his initial decision not to give a penalty when substitute Federico Chiesa tumbled under the challenge of James Tarkowski using VAR.“I’m glad it’s not the World Cup just yet,” said Southgate. “I think the ruling is ‘clear and obvious’ and it’s not. It’s one you can debate all day.”Southgate added that he is against the use of technology, as in England’s Premier League, despite the huge financial considerations wrong decisions can affect.“I prefer referee’s decision is final. It’s sport and we shouldn’t be talking abut how much money it’s cost or lost.”England were on course to back up their 1-0 win over the Netherlands on Friday and draws against World Cup favourites Germany and Brazil back in November thanks to Jamie Vardy’s 26th-minute opener.“Generally over the two games I’m really pleased,” added Southgate.“In the last four games we’ve played four of the biggest countries in the world, at different levels of progression, and been competitive in every one.”Insigne’s equaliser was the first goal England have conceded in six games.However, the hosts could have been punished far earlier for a lackadaisical start but for some poor finishing from Ciro Immobile.The Lazio striker has scored 34 goals this season, but twice failed to get his shot away in time after pouncing on a pair of errors by John Stones inside the first three minutes.Immobile’s best chance came 10 minutes later when he met Antonio Candreva’s enticing cross unmarked at the back post, but again failed to find the target as his header drifted over.– Kane void –England have had to cope without talismanic striker Harry Kane through injury for all of their last four friendlies.However, Vardy furthered his case should Southgate have to cope without Kane once more in Russia by blasting ruthlessly into the roof of the net from Jesse Lingard’s quickly taken free-kick.Italy will not be joining England in Russia come the summer having failed to qualify for the first time in 60 years.But the difference in motivation for both sides failed to show as a slew of substitutions began in the second half with many England players unable to make an impression in their final match before Southgate names his provisional 23-man World Cup squad.England’s lack of goals without Kane continues to be a concern for Southgate.Kane has scored seven goals in his last six international appearances, but without the Spurs striker England lacked a cutting edge to kill the game off.They were nearly punished when Insigne volleyed across Butland and just beyond the far post 10 minutes from time.But there was no such reprieve five minutes later.The decision to use VAR at the World Cup has not been an entirely popular one due to mixed results from a series of trials across the world.But replays proved Tarkowski had trod on Chiesa’s foot and Insigne wasn’t distracted by a lengthy wait to take the penalty as he smashed low into Butland’s right-hand corner.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000German referee Deniz Aytekin analyses video footage before awarding Italy a late penalty © AFP / Ian KINGTONLONDON, United Kingdom, Mar 28 – England manager Gareth Southgate believes a lack of clarity over the video assistant referee (VAR) system could blight the 2018 World Cup.Southgate’s side were denied another impressive World Cup warm-up friendly result as Lorenzo Insigne’s penalty three minutes from time salvaged a 1-1 draw for Italy at Wembley on Tuesday.last_img read more

Feds find L.A. Fire Department violated civil rights laws

first_imgCommission President Genethia Hudley-Hayes said it would be up to management and the City Attorney’s Office to come up with a strategy for dealing with the EEOC issue. “We’re taking all of this seriously.” And while she said the board would have input into the decision, she said it was premature to comment. “I think it’s inappropriate and really dangerous to respond to anything and make statements without being prepped by the City Attorney’s Office until we’re clear about the message.” She added, “All the things that we are addressing now, this is not something that happened yesterday or six months ago. This is something that happened preceding the Personnel and Controller’s audits.” The commission is now trying to put into place programs to train people in leadership on workplace issues. Councilman Dennis Zine, who heads the City Council’s Personnel Committee, said the LAFD has cracked down on hazing and horseplay that led to some of the complaints by female and black firefighters. “This is not the same environment as it was years ago. The fire department has been clear direction that that behavior will cease,” Zine said. “If they’re still having problems then the command stil hasn’t gotten the message. If discipline or termination is needed to save taxpayers money and send a message, then maybe that’s what needs to happen.” Also on today, the City Council finalized the settlement with black firefighter Tennie Pierce, whose colleagues put dog food in his spaghetti. The city will pay $1,430,000 to settle Pierce’s racial discrimination and retaliation lawsuit, plus $60,000 in back pay so he can receive his 20-year pension. kerry.cavanaugh@dailynews.com (213) 978-0390 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The Los Angeles Fire Department has violated civil rights laws by allowing harassment and retaliation of female and African-American firefighters, federal investigators have found. In a decision released today after an investigation, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission found that the LAFD allowed a “pattern and practice” of different terms of employment, harassment and retaliation for a class of female and black firefighters. The investigation stems from at least two complaints filed by firefighters. The EEOC would not comment on the LAFD, but the decision triggers settlement discussions between the city and attorneys for the firefighters who filed claims. If the city does not agree to make changes in the department to resolve the civil rights issues, the EEOC could pass along the case to the Department of Justice for prosecution. LAFD Chief Douglas Barry said he received the EEOC complaint Tuesday morning, and had not had a chance to review it, but would and also would seek follow-up information. “I think it points to the reforms that we’re working on, that we’ve been talking about; it points toward the importance of getting the reforms in place,” Barry said following a fire commission meeting. The new chief earlier had announced a plan to reform the beleaguered department, including asking for between $2 million and $3 million to create a Professional Standards Division of about 20 people to improve discipline management. Currently it has two investigators for the nearly 3,600-sworn force. last_img read more