Despite starting with the signing of Petr Cech from Chelsea, Arsenal fans have been left frustrated with how the transfer window has gone so far.And it looks like it is about to get worse as reports are circulating about the impending exit of Spaniard Nacho Monreal to Athletic Bilbao.Monreal has beaten off competition from Kieran Gibbs to hold down the left-back position over past season, leading to fans rating him as one of their best players.However, it seems as though he may well be on his way back to Spain and Gunners have reacted on social media with the line: “If we sell Monreal …”See the best tweets below … 1 Nacho Monreal
Former Borussia Dortmund youth coach Gary Gordon has revealed to talkSPORT that Liverpool’s injury crisis is ‘nothing new’ under manager Jurgen Klopp.The Reds currently now have 11 first-team players on the sidelines, with at least five of those suffering from hamstring injuries, after Philippe Coutinho and Dejan Lovren limped out of Tuesday’s League Cup win over Stoke.Their lengthy list of absentees has led to criticism of Klopp’s methods, with former Liverpool manager Roy Evans and Sunderland boss Sam Allardyce saying the German’s intense playing style is to blame.And Gordon, who worked with Klopp during his seven-year stint as Dortmund manager, admits the Bundesliga club experienced similar problems due to the boss’ high demands of his squad.When asked about Klopp’s training methods, he told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “They are intense.“It’s a lot of pressure on the players, the intensity in the game is very high so you have to find the right balance between training sessions and matches. It’s difficult to find the right solution at the moment.“We had similar problems at Dortmund, I don’t think it’s anything new. You have to have a balanced squad and you have to take that into consideration.“Jurgen likes runners. If you‘re doing six or seven miles a game he’s happy. That’s the style he likes and I don’t think he’s going to change it. It’s the way he likes to work.”
4 Sidney Sam (Schalke) – The spritely winger narrowly missed out on a spot in Germanys World Cup winning squad in 2014 but has seen his career go downhill since, with a switch to Schalke from Bayer Leverkusen not working out well. Hes made only two appearances for the club this season, both in the Europa League, and he and his club would welcome the interest from Liverpool, which has been reported by German publication Kicker. Mario Gotze (Bayern Munich) – There have already been reports this January Jurgen Klopp could be reunited. The German star has insisted it wont happen in January but he has told his former boss at Borussia Dortmund he should pick up the phone if he wants to do a deal. Gotze told TZ: I can rule out a move to Liverpool this winter I dont know where the rumours about Klopp and me are coming from. I have not heard anything. You should ask Klopp if he wants me at Liverpool. If he wants me, he should approach me. 4 Alexandre Pato (On loan at Sao Paulo from Corinthians) – Liverpools quest for a striker who can either hit the back of the net or remain fit could soon be at an end. An Italian journalist has claimed the Reds have agreed a deal worth around £11m for the Brazilian star, who has resurrected his career in his homeland. Hes sure to move on in January but his destination remains a puzzle. Andrea Ranocchia (Inter Milan) – Click the right arrow for more Liverpool transfer news… – With Liverpools defensive crisis forcing them to play Jose Enrique at centre-back against Exeter City in the FA Cup, its no surprise theyre linked with a new defender. The international star is a wanted man this January with Norwich City already moving for him, but reports in Italy suggest the Reds are opening talks as they attempt to snare the 27-year-old. 4 4 A dismal 2-2 draw with Exeter City in the FA Cup third round has again put pressure on Jurgen Klopp.The German was forced to play a hugely inexperienced XI against the Grecians, revealing just how bare his squad really is.With that in mind, transfers are almost certain this month for the Reds and a number of stars are being linked.Click the right arrow above to find out all the latest Liverpool transfer news…
Simon Clare joins the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast to round up the latest sporting odds.Coral’s PR director brings us the latest odds ahead of another packed weekend of Premier League action, with all eyes on the Emirates as Arsenal take on Chelsea on Sunday.The Blues have lost just twice in 11 visits to the Gunners, but with the north Londoners currently second favourites for the title, it is expected to be a very different game.The Gunners are even money to come away with a win, while the still misfiring Blues are 14/5 for the victory.Meanwhile, the focus will be on strikers this weekend with Christian Benteke 9/2 to end his barren run with the first goal against Norwich, while Charlie Austin is 5/1 to get the first goal on his Southampton debut at Manchester United.Coral is the official betting partner of the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast
Arsene Wenger has no new injury problems ahead of Barcelona’s visit 2 Arsene Wenger said he has no injury worries ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League last 16 match against Barcelona.The manager revealed Mesut Ozil was rested against Hull in the weekend’s FA Cup fifth round due to illness, with Aaron Ramsey also given a break.“I believe the positive of the day is that [Danny] Welbeck came through quite well. He started for the first time in 10 months and he was one of the positives of the day,” he told Arsenal.com after the 1-1 draw with Hull at the Emirates.Gabriel is still a week away from returning, meaning he won’t get to face Barca, while Jack Wilshere is “three or four weeks” away, according to Wenger, while it is also too early for Santi Cazorla. 2
By The Associated Press WASHINGTON – House Democratic leaders said Sunday they were working to gather votes to override a veto on a popular children’s health program, but pledged to find a way to cover millions without insurance should their effort fail. At the same time, the White House sought to chide the Democratic-controlled Congress as the obstructionists in reauthorizing the State Children’s Health Insurance Program. It said Democrats were the ones who had shown unwillingness to compromise. Deputy press secretary Tony Fratto quoted President Bush as saying he is “willing to work with members of both parties from both houses” on the issue. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.In talk show interviews, Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Majority Leader Steny Hoyer did not dispute claims by Republican leaders that the GOP will have enough votes to sustain Bush’s veto when the House holds its override vote on Thursday. Pelosi and Hoyer promised to pass another bipartisan bill if needed. “Isn’t that sad for America’s children?” said Pelosi, D-Calif., when asked about the GOP’s assurances the override vote will fail. “It doesn’t mean we aren’t working hard throughout the country: governors, mayors, people who deal with children on a regular basis. “We’ll try very hard to override it. But one thing’s for sure: We won’t rest until those 10million children have health care,” she said in an interview broadcast Sunday. Hoyer, D-Md., declined to predict Thursday’s vote. “This is a defining moment for the Republican Party, in my opinion,” Hoyer said before adding later: The program is “not going to die.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
After years of struggling to raise money, the Children’s Museum of Los Angeles has landed a $10 million donation that provides a key boost toward building the San Fernando Valley’s first major museum. The anonymous donation is the largest single contribution and means the museum board is closer to reaching a price tag that has soared to $53 million for construction and exhibits at the Hansen Dam Recreation Area facility. “This definitely gets us on track,” said Cecilia Aguilera Glassman, the museum’s chief executive officer who was brought in this year to spur fundraising. “We did this. But tomorrow we have to do it again. It’s going to take a community of people to make this happen.” The museum was proposed as a private-public partnership, but public dollars have covered nearly 70 percent of the cost so far. That has raised concerns among some city leaders about the financial viability of the museum in Lake View Terrace. In May, contractors threatened to walk off the job unless they were paid $3.3 million they were owed by the museum. At the urging of Los Angeles City Councilman Richard Alarc n, who represents the Northeast Valley, the City Council approved a rare $1.75 million emergency loan from the city’s reserve fund. The loan came with the condition that the museum match it in 30 days – which it did. Three months later, an audit by the City Controller’s Office noted that the museum has been bogged down by poor planning, little oversight and lack of donations – raising concern that local taxpayers might get stuck with the bill. The audit blamed the museum board and city officials for the project cost and noted, among other things, that the museum board spent more than $4.8 million on project designs that were later scrapped. And the audit questioned whether the museum board can find the money in time and warned that the city might have to step in again with more funds. But Alarcon said that is unlikely. “I made it very clear to the (museum’s) board of directors that their reliance on government funding is not acceptable to me,” Alarcon said Monday. “As a foundation, now, they are back on track.” The original Children’s Museum of Los Angeles in downtown was designed in 1979 by renowned architect Frank Gehry. But it closed in 2000 when plans were in the works to build sister facilities in Little Tokyo and at Hansen Dam. The Little Tokyo plan was scrapped because of a lack of funds. The Hansen Dam site became the focus, and museum directors chose a bold design for the 57,000-square-foot concrete building. The facility will include walls covered in environmentally friendly materials and interactive, hands-on exhibits for children. Alarcon hailed the donation Monday as a key step forward. “Whatever pessimism might have been out there should be squelched. We should have nothing but optimism. “I am so thankful to whoever the contributor is.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The museum had faced a $22 million shortfall in construction and exhibit costs, imperiling a March 2009 planned opening. The $10 million will be used for both construction and ongoing operating expenses, Glassman said. She could not specify how much will go to each category, but said the gift will serve as an anchor when the museum raises future funds. The donation comes after years of extolling the center’s virtue to local businesses and philanthropists and brings total fundraising efforts to $45 million. “As someone who’s been with it for the last four or five years, it’s been a real roller coaster,” said museum board co-chairman Mike Roos. “Things finally seem to be really coming together nicely. The temporary-occupancy certificate, the move in, this $10 million gift from someone anonymous in the Valley shows there are leaders in the Valley ready to step up to serve this vital … facility in the Valley.”
Victims of last month’s California wildfires still have time to apply for state and federal aid, but they should be aware of some upcoming deadlines. Individuals who lost wages because of the October wildfires in Malibu, Santa Clarita, San Bernardino and Orange County areas have until Monday to apply for the state’s disaster unemployment assistance. Workers who were unable to get to jobs during that time in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties can apply. It was unclear late Saturday what deadline would be set for residents affected by this weekend’s fires in Malibu. The agency has taken an average of five days to process disaster-loan applications. Homeowners looking to repair or replace their damaged or destroyed homes might be eligible for loans up to $200,000. Homeowners and renters might be eligible for other loans up to $40,000. Businesses and private nonprofit organizations can borrow up to $1.5million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed property, machinery and equipment, inventory and other business assets. The SBA also lends additional money to homeowners and businesses to help pay for improvements to prevent or lessen such damage in the future. So far, 17,300 individuals have registered for state and federal disaster assistance, FEMA reports. Federal disaster payments totaling $8.2million have been distributed, according to the agency. The breakdown: $6.1million for housing assistance, as for repairing or replacing a home or for rental expenses, and $2.1million for personal-property losses and damage, vehicle repair or replacement, moving expenses and other disaster-related costs. More than 350,000 people evacuated their homes at the peak of the October fires, which scorched more than 500,000 acres and destroyed at least 2,648 homes. AID DEADLINES FEDERAL Dec. 24 – Deadline for SBA loans for property damage Individuals should register with FEMA first. Call 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585 for the hearing- and speech-impaired. Or register at www.fema.gov online. FEMA phone lines are open from 5a.m. to 10p.m. daily. Small businesses can call the SBA directly at 800-659-2955. For more SBA information, call 800-659-2955 or go online to sba.gov/services/disasterassistance. Hearing-impaired individuals can call 800-877-8339. STATE Monday – Deadline for disaster unemployment assistance Residents can apply online at www.edd.ca.gov/fleclaim.htm or by calling 800-300-5616 for English, 800-326-8937 for Spanish or 800-815-9387 for hearing-impaired. BY THE NUMBERS 2,500: Californians who have visited Lowe’s building supply stores and met with FEMA outreach teams to get rebuilding and mitigation information. 7,200: Damaged or destroyed homes FEMA inspectors have reviewed from Ventura County to the Mexican border. 12,000: Individuals who have visited disaster assistance centers. 17,300: Individuals who have registered for state and federal disaster assistance online or by phone. $5 million: The amount in goods and services donated to fire victims, according to a federal government estimate. $30.4 million: SBA low-interest loans approved. Source: FEMA160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsMore than 6,120 workers affected by the October fires have filed for unemployment insurance benefits ranging from $144 to a maximum of $450 a week. Eligible individuals include those who have a legal right to work in the United States, are or have been self-employed, are unable to establish a valid regular unemployment insurance claim or have exhausted their unemployment benefits. Workers who couldn’t get to their jobs, had their jobs eliminated or couldn’t work because of a disaster-related injury might be eligible. The disaster unemployment assistance program, funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, is administered by the U.S. Department of Labor and the California Employment Development Department. Individuals and business owners have until Dec.24 to apply for property-damage loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration. The deadline for economic-injury disaster loans is July24, 2008. Small businesses – regardless of whether they had any property damage – can apply. The SBA has approved $30.4million in low-interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters and businesses damaged by the wildfires.
A Donegal town has the highest percentage of vacant commercial properties in Ireland, a report has found.Ballybofey has a commercial vacancy rate of 28.2%, it was announced today.Letterkenny was also placed well above the national average with a vacancy rate of 20.2%. The national average is 12.3%. Charlie Ferry of the Ballybofey and Stranorlar Chamber of Commerce says that this is a shocking statistic.He said that businesses are under huge pressure under current commercial rates. “If we can get the rates down, it might stave off closures,” he said.Ferry said that more closures are imminent unless the Council cooperate with businesses by lowering rates.Minister for the Environment Phil Hogan said that the Property Tax would give councils more leeway to negotiate commercial rates, but this has not happened, Ferry said. The Ballybofey and Stranorlar Chamber of Commerce set up an online petition demanding a 25% reduction in commercial rates for Donegal businesses. It has 33 signatures so far.Out of the 7268 commercial addresses in County Donegal, 13% were reported to be empty.The vacancy rates for other towns fell in and around the national average: 15.9% of commercial properties in Buncrana are vacant, along with 9.9% in Bundoran and 12.5% in Donegal town.These figures arose from a GeoView and DKM Economic Consultants quarterly report on Commercial Properties in Ireland that counted empty units in August 2013.Annette Hughes, Director of DKM Economic Consultants said “The vacancy rates are also likely to influence the location of new development.” by Rachel McLaughlinHIGHEST COMMERCIAL VACANCIES IN COUNTRY IN BALLYBOFEY was last modified: October 8th, 2013 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Ballybofeychamber of commercecommercial propertiesvacant businesses