Conductor stabbed during row over passenger

first_imgAndrew Blacks, a conductor on a Route 32 minibus (Georgetown-Parika), is now battling for his life after reportedly being stabbed multiple times by a minibus driver during a quarrel over a passenger on Wednesday in the vicinity of Stabroek Square, Georgetown.Based on reports received, Blacks was attempting to escort a passenger into the minibus on which he works when a bus driver attempted to pull the passenger away from him. He objected to this action, and the driver, enraged, whipped out a weapon and inflicted several stabs about his body.Reportedly bleeding profusely, Blacks collapsed on the roadway, but was immediately picked up by persons on the scene and rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC), where he was admitted and remains a patient in stable but serious condition.The suspect has since been arrested, and is assisting the Police in their investigation of the incident. He is expected to be charged and arraigned in court today.last_img read more

Incredible Serie A goal you MUST SEE

first_imgIt may no longer be regarded as having the pulling power it enjoyed during its 1990s heyday, but Serie A continues to regularly throw up moments of magic.The latest piece of brilliance came during Milan’s incredibly entertaining 5-4 victory away to Parma on Sunday, as Jeremy Menez scored an audacious effort to wrap the three points up for the Rossoneri.Just take a look at the video above.last_img

Girls react to Raheem Sterling’s wage demands

first_imgRaheem Sterling’s rejection of a new contract from Liverpool left many fans questioning the motivation behind the 20-year-old attacker’s decision.Sterling’s rejection of the £100,000-a-week offer certainly raised eyebrows among Liverpool fans, so we decided to gauge the public reaction in our latest ‘Girls React’ video.Check out the clip, above, and let us know what you think of the Sterling situation – should he stay or go?For more ‘Girls React’ videos, check out our YouTube channel here!last_img read more

‘If Monreal leaves … we’re throwing nachos on the pitch’ – Raging Arsenal fans protest against sale of left-back

first_imgDespite starting with the signing of Petr Cech from Chelsea, Arsenal fans have been left frustrated with how the transfer window has gone so far.And it looks like it is about to get worse as reports are circulating about the impending exit of Spaniard Nacho Monreal to Athletic Bilbao.Monreal has beaten off competition from Kieran Gibbs to hold down the left-back position over past season, leading to fans rating him as one of their best players.However, it seems as though he may well be on his way back to Spain and Gunners have reacted on social media with the line: “If we sell Monreal …”See the best tweets below … 1 Nacho Monreal last_img read more

Deals in Simpson case could cut 2 ways

first_imgThat would contradict Simpson’s claim that no guns were involved when he went to retrieve items he said belonged to him. McClinton, whose lawyer said he worked as a security guard and had a concealed weapons permit, wielded a gun and acted like a police officer when Simpson and the others allegedly robbed collectibles dealers Bruce Fromong and Alfred Beardsley, according to police reports. Authorities say memorabilia taken included football game balls signed by Simpson, Joe Montana lithographs, baseballs autographed by Pete Rose and Duke Snider, photos of Simpson with the Heisman Trophy, and framed awards and plaques, together valued at as much as $100,000, according to police reports. New York defense lawyer Michael Shapiro called Clark County District Attorney David Roger’s offers of plea deals and immunity “a standard way of building your case.” “Ultimately, it will come down to whether a jury will believe witnesses who have cut deals to testify,” said Shapiro, who provided television commentary during the trial that led to Simpson’s acquittal in the 1994 murder of his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ronald Goldman. “As a defense lawyer, I say, `Folks, are you willing to bet your life, to bet your childrens’ life, to make the most important decision you’ll ever have to make, based on what these people have to say?”‘ McClinton’s agreement to enter a plea was not a surprise, said Simpson lawyer Yale Galanter, who said he believed McClinton will be the final cooperating witness. “What this comes down to is the real bad guys are pointing a finger at O.J., and the prosecution is giving away the courthouse to try to shore up their case,” Galanter told The Associated Press. “We look forward to cross-examining these witnesses at the preliminary hearing next week.” Simpson and co-defendants Clarence Stewart and Charles Ehrlich each face 12 criminal charges in the preliminary hearing beginning Nov. 8. The charges includekidnapping, armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and conspiracy. A kidnapping conviction alone could result in a sentence of life in prison with parole. The stiffest sentence faced by any of the three co-defendants who have accepted pleas is 11 years. They all could receive probation after testifying. Tom Pitaro, a Las Vegas defense lawyer who teaches trial advocacy at the Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, called the disparity between the charges against Simpson and the charges in the plea deals a possible problem for prosecutors. “It’s big for the prosecution to get insiders to say they committed a crime and that they committed it with him,” Pitaro said. “But (prosecutors) have to get the jury to buy into the fairness. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! COURTS: Experts say prosecutors are taking a calculated risk with case’s co-defendants. By Ken Ritter The Associated Press LAS VEGAS – Cutting deals with co-defendants to testify against O.J. Simpson could undercut prosecutors if they ever need to convince a jury the aging football star is guilty of serious crimes, legal experts said Monday. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.But that could happen only if the case makes it past a preliminary hearing next week before a judge whose main concern will be what the evidence is rather than where it came from. “This is a basic prosecution tactic that is very effective,” said Jody Armour, a criminal law professor at USC, after a third Simpson co-defendant told a judge Monday that he’ll plead guilty to lesser charges and testify for the prosecution. “But it has vulnerabilities,” he said. “Its greatest weakness is that the jury is going to hear from the defense that the only reason they’re testifying is because they cut a deal that can benefit them.” “Even if they don’t hear the words `quid pro quo,’ it’s understood,” Armour said. The star witness might be Michael McClinton, 49, of Las Vegas, whose lawyer said he can testify that Simpson asked him to bring guns to the confrontation with two sports memorabilia dealers at a Las Vegas casino hotel. last_img

Gortahork woman to head up RnaG operations in Donegal

first_imgRTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta has announced that Edel Ní Chuireáin is to step down as Ceannaire, or Head of Station, to move back home to Donegal where she will take over as manager of the service in Doirí Beaga.This position has been vacant since the sudden death of Séamus Mac Géidigh last July.Edel will also be Acting Leascheannaire, Assistant Head of Station, for a time, while Gearóid Mac Donncha will step up as Acting Ceannaire of RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta in the station HQ in Connemara. Jim Jennings, Managing Director, RTÉ Radio, said “I would like to thank Edel Ní Chuireáin for her hard work and dedication as Ceannaire of RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta and wish her well in her new position as Bainisteoir Réigiúin an Tuaiscirt. I would also like to thank Gearóid Mac Donncha for accepting this new role and I look forward to working closely with him in the future.”Edel, who is from Gortahork, said it has been a privilege to be Ceannaire of this service for 11 years.“The work has been very satisfying, although not without its challenges. It was a particular honour to be Ceannaire for the 100 year commemorations of the Easter Rising last year, and for Raidió na Gaeltachta’s 40 year celebrations in 2012. I’m now looking forward to going home and starting a new chapter.”Edel Ní Chuireáin was appointed Ceannaire of RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta in 2006, the first woman to hold the position. Previous to that she had spent two years as Leascheannaire, Assistant Head, and for the ten years prior to that was manager of RnaG’s operations in Doirí Beaga. She still has a home in Gort an Choirce, although she has lived in Galway city for the past 13 years with her husband and family.Edel will take up her new position in Doirí Beaga on 10 April.Gortahork woman to head up RnaG operations in Donegal was last modified: March 28th, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalEdel Ní ChuireáinRnaGlast_img read more

DONEGAL PRAYS FOR PAUL AS LITTLE FIGHTER HAS HIS OPERATION TO WALK TODAY

first_imgAnne-Marie admits she is spoiling her son Paul a little before his operation today – and why not?The young Donegal boy who is battling to walk for the very first time is to have his make-or-break operation tonight.Paul Doherty, 5, will go under the surgeon’s knife at 3pm local time in Missouri, America and 9pm Irish time.The brave Killygordon lad was born with spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy which left him in a wheelchair. The operation is called Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR) and involves cutting some of the nerves in Paul’s spinal cord that are misfiring the muscles in his leg.But Paul’s mum had heard of a pioneering surgery, Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR), which involves cutting some of the nerves in Paul’s spinal cord that are misfiring the muscles in his leg.Now Anne-Marie Doherty has asked people to pray for her little boy in the hope that the operation is a success and that he will have a chance to walk one day.The Doherty family, who were supported by the people of Donegal in raising 60,000 euro, yesterday met with Dr Park, the man who will perform Paul’s surgery. Anne-Marie told Donegal Daily “We were at the children’s hospital today and met with Dr. Park and his team. We got on great and the surgery is scheduled for 3pm local time (9pm at home).“They are going to perform a slightly bigger procedure than they anticipated but this will help Paul to walk better later.“Also, Paul might need a second operation in 10 days on his heel cords and hamstrings. It’s not the best situation now but it will be for the best in the future,” she revealed.At the start of her campaign last year, Anne-Marie told Donegal Daily how she would love nothing more than to see her son walk into school.   DONEGAL PRAYS FOR PAUL AS LITTLE FIGHTER HAS HIS OPERATION TO WALK TODAY was last modified: March 3rd, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalKillygordonoperationpaul dohertyWALKlast_img read more

MCLAUGHLIN HOPING TO TIE BLACKPOOL DEFENCE IN ‘NOTTS’

first_imgStephen McLaughlin will be hoping he can help Forest to an opening day win over Blackpool.Clonmany native Stephen McLaughlin will be hoping he can help Nottingham Forest off to a winning start when they face Blackpool in the opening weekend of the Championship.McLaughlin made his full debut for Forest towards the end of last season against Leeds United under then caretaker manager Gary Brazil.It was a dream debut for McLaughlin as he set up the first goal and performed superbly in an excellent 2-0 victory. McLaughlin has performed extremely well in pre-season, and will be hopeful of gaining a start in the fixture which kicks off later this afternoon.We wish the former Finn Harps and Derry City midfielder all the best in the forthcoming season at the City Ground. MCLAUGHLIN HOPING TO TIE BLACKPOOL DEFENCE IN ‘NOTTS’ was last modified: August 9th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BlackpoolNew seasonnewsNottingham ForestOpening daySportStephen McLaughlinlast_img read more

COUNTLESS LIVES SAVED AS 14,500 WOMEN COMPLETE FIRST ROUND OF BREASTCHECK IN DONEGAL

first_imgMore than 14,000 women across Donegal have now availed of breast check services within the past two years since the BreastCheck screening programme was launched in 2009.Countless lives amongst women across the county aged between 50 and 64 have undoubtedly saved thanks to the programme.The BreastCheck mobile unit is presently based at the council offices car park in Letterkenny and is due to finish on October 7th. The unit first started screening in the county in October 2009 after extensive lobbying by Donegal Action for Cancer Care.Last night DACC’s Betty Holmes said the programme has been a huge success.“The fact that more than 14,000 women in Donegal have had successful breast checks is a huge endorsement of the terrific work done by BreastCheck.“Who knows how many lives have been saved through early detection thanks to this service,” she said. BreastCheck is a Government-funded screening service that is offered to women aged between 50 and 64 every two years.A mammogram is a simple procedure and an appointment only takes about half an hour in total.BreastCheck encourages every woman in Donegal who receive an invitation for a mammogram to go for her appointment.DACC would like to acknowledge the help & ongoing support to them of the National Cancer Screening Service.They also want to encourage women aged 50-64 years of age to make sure they are registered with BreastCheck by phoning FREEPHONE number 1850 45 45 55 or checking on line at www,breastcheck.ie EndsCOUNTLESS LIVES SAVED AS 14,500 WOMEN COMPLETE FIRST ROUND OF BREASTCHECK IN DONEGAL was last modified: October 3rd, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:BREASTCHECKDONEGAL ACTION FOR CANCER CARElast_img read more

Merry economy seen in 2006

first_img “Aerospace manufacturing hasn’t seen this level of growth in more than a decade,” Anderson wrote in his analysis. And international air carriers are scrapping old jet fuel guzzling plans and buying new ones, which translates to growth for the local economy. The service sector, the region’s biggest employer, is collectively the least optimistic. And Anderson said it’s showing some signs of fatigue. These firms have added to their payrolls in recent years, and while less optimistic about the future, still have a positive hiring outlook. The survey also found that: 80 percent of Southern California businesses reported improved or similar current business conditions, while 87 percent saw improved or similar future demand. 90 percent saw future hiring as improved or the same. About one in three businesses reported rising prices. Jack Kyser, chief economist at the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corp., said Wells Fargo’s findings jibes with what he hears on the street. “There is an air of optimism. Any bank you talk to is quite happy because this is a wonderful market in terms of small to medium-sized businesses that use a lot of services,” Kyser said. Gregory J. Wilcox, (818) 713-3743 greg.wilcox@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! There is little danger that Southern California’s economic expansion will derail next year as executives across the region believe their current business conditions are robust and will improve, according to a Wells Fargo survey released Thursday. The San Francisco-based bank’s survey sent to 400 businesses in Los Angeles and Orange counties with annual revenues of between $5 million and $500 million found that businesses are generally optimistic about their short-term outlook. It focused on the manufacturing, service and construction sectors. “Together, Los Angeles and Orange County have a tremendous impact on our national economy,” said Scott Anderson, a Wells Fargo senior economist who tracks Southern California. Los Angeles business were more upbeat than their Orange County counterparts, said Anderson. And construction companies were the most optimistic of all. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals Anderson attributed that in part to the robust housing market, which can still absorb some new construction. “This said to us that the housing demand remains firmly in place,” Anderson said during a conference call. “I think the big run-up we’ve had in home prices and activity in Orange County is tempering. L.A. had been slower to pick up the pace.” However, Anderson noted that if left unchecked, the rampant high cost of living, including housing prices, will elevate labor costs and could dampen growth. Manufacturing companies were “surprisingly exuberant” about their prospects. Strengthening foreign demand and low U.S. inventories are leading to improved production activity. last_img read more